Indian Head Massage – A Nurturing Treatment for
I absolutely love Indian Head Massage. This treatment, along with a wonderful reflexology are my ultimate favourite therapies. I feel the tension literally leave my head and shoulders, and find that my brain stops whizzing in thought, and I can really relax. For mamas who are always hyper vigilant and on the go, this treatment gives you some well deserved down time, to help balance your energy centre, help you to re-charge, de-stress and calm down stress hormones. This treatment is suitable for pregnant and postnatal mamas, and the position can be adapted to sitting, semi upright or front laying for the up most comfort. I can tailor this therapy to your requirements.
Indian Head massage is a traditional and very effective therapy. It has evolved from traditional techniques, practised in India, as part of family ritual, for over a thousand years. It has its origins in ancient medicine known as Ayurveda.
The treatment incorporates the use of massage and acupressure techniques using both firm and gentle pressure. This relaxes those areas and re-balances the body’s energy.
Indian head massage promotes the restoration of balance and harmony to the body and mind. The therapeutic benefits go way beyond boosting hair health, helping to alleviate anxiety and stress by promoting a deep state of relaxation.
This treatment is ideally carried out on bare skin using oils but can be carried out over clothes.
It involves massage not only to the scalp, face and neck but also the upper back, upper arms, and shoulders with the client seated and supported in an upright position.
This can bring about feelings of wellbeing, calmness and relaxation. This therapy stimulates improvement in the circulatory and lymphatic systems and enhances joint mobility. It can be especially helpful for the following symptoms:
Tinnitus ear problems
Problems with concentration
Headaches and migraines
Shoulder neck and back tension
Stress and anxiety
Try these 5 techniques to give yourself a mini treatment whenever you feel frazzled or tired.
1. Shampooing – spread out your fingers and use your fingertips to apply circular pressure all over your scalp.
2. Use your right hand and slide it from your right ear across the top of your head, and then gently lift pull over the hair on the left side of your head. Repeat on the other side, moving left to right from the top of your head to the base of your neck.
3. Grab handfuls of hair and gently close your hands into fists feeling a little pull on the scalp. Apply this all over your head.
4. Place your hands on the back/top of your head and use your fingers to support it as you apply slow gentle circular thumb pressure from the tops of your ears, working down around the ridge of your skull to the dip at the top of your neck.
5. Use your fingertips to apply tapping over the head like heavy raindrops.