This Paleo Tipple is a fabulous refreshing drink that gives mamas a lift when they are feeling tired, and is great to have after a workout. This is a far healthier option than any of the ready made energy drinks you can find at the supermarket which are often packed full of caffeine, read more about the warnings issued by the WHO here.
I recommend small shot glasses for this drink and not consuming in large quantities, as although grapefruits are lower in sugar than most fruit, there is a natural Juniper Berry Syrup in this blend so you don’t want to spike sugar levels.
The Juniper Berry Syrup needs to be made in advance so please make sure you have;
- 3/4 oz of Juniper Berries
- 1tsp Lavender Flowers
- 1 Cup of Cane Sugar
- Pestle and Mortar to crush the berries
- Mason Jar or a jar with a secure lid
- Coffee Filter or Muslin to strain mix
You can reduce the syrup quantities to taste if you like the sharpness of grapefruit. The juice stores well in the refrigerator for 3-5 days in a glass container.
To make the Paleo Tipple you will need these ingredients:
- Juice of a pink grapefruit
- Rind of 1 unwaxed lime
- 6 cardamom pods
- 3 tablespoons Juniper berry syrup (See recipe)
- 1 sprig rosemary
- Cup soda water
- Mix all over ingredients together
- Refrigerate for 2 hours to allowing all flavours to blend
- Strain through a muslin cloth
- Serve in shot glasses for instant refreshment and an energy hit
Tip – Add the soda water when you are ready to drink or it will go flat. Drink chilled.
This Paleo Tipple goes great with the Paleo Shortbread Cookies I posted last week. Don’t forget to come back next week as I will be sharing my recipe for Veggie Mushroom Bites!
Let me know in the comments below what you think of this delicious drink and if you have any fantastic recipes that you use for boosting your energy levels.